Have a mail franking related question? If so, see if we can answer your question.
Mail Franking have received many questions about franking machines and the mail franking. For this reason we have created this page so that you can see our franking machine FAQ in detail. View some of our most frequently asked questions below and see if we can answer you.
Yes, franking is used by large corporate companies, government organisations, universities, local small and sole trader businesses and you can frank any type of mail except for contract mail. You can refer to our full list of products available for franking:
• Recorded and Special Delivery services to UK destinations
• International Signed For and Airsure services to most international destinations
• One-off Customer Collections
• Royal Mail Standard Parcels and Parcelforce ‘International Standard’ and ‘International Economy’ items.
Visit www.mailcoms.co.uk or call 08450 530930 today. You can receive a quick franking machine quote from us via our online form to the right.
The Royal Mail prices are the costs of postage. View the franking prices 2018 here and see how much you can save this year when franking mail.
There will also be manufacturer or supplier costs to rent, lease or buy a franking machine, and you will need to pay inspection and maintenance charges whilst buying consumables such as inks and labels.
Yes, seven in particular:
• You must get a licence from us before using your franking machine.
• We can withdraw permission to use a franking machine for any contravention of the terms and conditions of use or if for any other reason we believe there to be illegal activity.
• It is a requirement of the license that you keep your franking machine in good working order, and have it inspected at least once a year by a company approved to carry out this work.
• You must tell Royal Mail, and your manufacturer or supplier if you change your address or replace your franking machine.
• Your machine’s impression must be legible, and must include the date of posting and the correct postage rate for the item’s weight and destination.
• You must present your mail in accordance with the terms & conditions of your Franking Machine Licence separating it into bundles by class, format and service. All addresses should face the same way. The impression printed by the machine must be legible, and must include date of posting and correct postage rate for the appropriate format.
• You may only use BLUE ink when using a franking machine and this must be purchased from the supplier of the machine. If you are not using smart blue ink then you may need a smart franking machine today.
We can supply you with pouches, trays or mail bags to help you with the correct presentation of your mail. Customer requests for any of these items should be referred to the Customer Operations Manager at your local Mail Centre. This includes requests for initial supplies and subsequent and replacement pouch orders.
You should post your franked mail as early as possible on the day of franking – and no later than the latest local posting times. You can have a Customer Collections service, however it may cost extra.
At your local Post Office or sorting office, or in a Business postbox for franked mail, if you post in any other box your mail may be delayed. You’ll need to use special late-posting envelopes, available from your franking machine supplier.
The exception to this is Low Volume franking machines where customers place their mail in outer envelopes (low volume posting envelopes) and place these in any postbox. Your manufacturer will be able to advise you if your machine qualifies for this type of posting access. Buy some low cost meter envelopes here.
Some have electronic scales, automatic letter feed, sealing and stacking. Your machine supplier can advise you. Alongside the franked impression, you can also print a short advertising message, your logo or a return address.
Many modern franking machines also come with the latest franking technologies – smart meter and Mailmark. These two technologies can be highly beneficial for any business. Find out about Smart Franking Machines here. Find out about Franking Mailmark here.